Thursday, 6 November 2008

Few!

Once upon a time, I was a slip of a girl in England.

I was on a train journey, alone, from Paddington (platform ten and two fifths) to Bath, a Roman City. I was 15 at the time.

It was high summer in July, and the train was about as full as it could be. Standing room only. If it were in India, people would have sat on the roof.

Here we were, shoulder to shoulder in the corridor, in blistering heat, tired, weary and sweating buckets.



It was hot, even for the Philippines. We are talking at least 35 degree Celsius, mainly because English trains have no ventilation.

The train pulled into Reading station and stopped. There was no noise.

It was at this point my overriding sense of humor got the better of me.

I simply could not resist it.

In full earshot of everyone, this little slip of a girl, all five foot nothing of her, looked up at the ceiling, sighed heavily, and clearly said to no-one in particular:

"Anyone would think it was summer."

No comments: