Friday, 24 October 2008

Exorbitant but Ace

I love to watch musical theatre, and living near London's West End helped.

My father took me to see Starlight Express 8 times, and when I was old enough to go alone, I saw it a further14 times. "Chess", "Miss Saigon", "Les Miserables", "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", Evita all had their turn too.

However, "Phantom of the Opera" was always sold out. Six to eight months in advance.

Then we moved back to Osaka when I was 15. It wasn't until last February that I managed to make it, during one of my infrequent forays to London.

I already knew the entire libretto word for word, so it was a real treat.

Knowing that it was still sold out did not deter me. Neither did the 200-deep queue of people waiting for cancellations.

So I hung around on the corner in Haymarket, and waited for a dodgy geyser.

Soon, I spotted one, so I approached him.

Yes, he was a tout but I didn't care.

He had a bunch of tickets, so I bought one with a £9.80 face value.

His price was £130.

And at last I was in Her Majesty's, resplendent with sumptuous decor (and that was only my outfit!). 140 minutes and a £10 cocktail later, I emerged, better off for the experience.

The performance was exactly as on the CD, and Dave Willets did a fantastic job as the Phantom.

Well worth the outlay ( and that was only the plush carpet!), so much so that I have returned there several times since (cheapest ticket was £55)!!

No comments: