Yuko continues to surprise me with her history knowledge. She just posted on her blog about the Vietnam war.
Her English may not be 100% but she has a grasp of history I will never have. See it here
I myself have seen the musical with Monique Wilson as Kim (years ago, it made a lasting mark on me as a kid). It is basically Madame butterfly for the modern era.
The portion that Yuko refers to is the sad story of the Bui-Doi, the kids of the GI's who went there.
Their only crime was "being born".
This is the song from that musical, with actual Bui-Doi footage. The London musical showed similar footage as a the backdrop to the song. The audience did not know what to watch, but moving it certainly was.
The guy introducing this in 1989 is Terry Wogan, a BBC icon. Watch and cry.
Peter Polycarpou , who also did Les Miserables in the West End, whom which I saw perform live his rendition of Enroljas.
Friday, 21 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment