In all of my travels, the Philippines is by far my favorite place.
It is beautifully warm, the people are very friendly, the music is ingrained into their hearts, and life is so simple.
Beer is cheap as well (about 20c for a bottle of San Miguel, and , if you are into it, $1.20 for a litre of Gin).
I have been there so many times I recognise almost everything in the video. In the back seat of the car near the end, sits Jolina Magdangal, and the stone monument in the middle is the most famous image in the country, the Rizal Momument, in Rizal Park, Manila. Jose Rizal was executed by the Spanish in 1896 and is their National Hero.
Life in the Philippines is very simple.
Graft, eat, and sleep.
Copra (coconut husks for use as charcoal on the many street chicken barbecues) is a main product.
Karaoke is big, and every day at 4 am in the country, you are awoken by the thousands of roosters announcing the dawn.
"Chocolate Hills", "Hundred Islands", "Ati-Atihan" festival, Fiestas every other week, volcanoes, typhoons, all add to the spice and excitement of living there.
I love it, and I just might retire there...
The following video is a Tagalog song, "Nandito Ako", as sung by Lea Salonga (of Miss Saigon fame), but represented in the style of my country's Anime.
Nandito Ako (I am here) is about a girl telling us about her boyfriend who is now loving another girl, but telling him that no matter what, she is still there loving him.
It's a sad but beautiful song.
For the first time in my life, I am homesick.
Sidebar: I have been told oftentimes that I have a good Tagalog, Korean, Spanish and French accent, but not an English one! Strange!
Wednesday, 26 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment