Saturday, 11 October 2008

Rose-Colored Goggles


Typical scene in the Philippines.

A view from part of the National Highway that runs the length of the country, as built by the Americans.

Imagine this - this highway has to traverse a mountain range near here, which means it cannot go "straight" across.

It wends its way along countless zigzags and blind corners for about .
30 km.

The stretch of road is well known to me.

Imagine this also - riding pillion on a motorcycle, in the dark, with no lighting but the one headlamp, no moon and in drizzle.

Well, I did that, and it was hairy. There were four of us on the motorcycle, it was pitch black on a winding road downhill through the jungle, just like you see here.

We were: Raquel's brother, then me, then Raquel, and almost falling off at the rear, Raquel's sister.

He slowed down to a crawl if he even sensed another vehicle coming the other way.

For a journey normally that would have taken 30-40 minutes, this one took nearly two hours. It was really raining when we got to Raquel's place, as this was the rain forest, and we were all quite soaked.

Especially Raquel's brother, who had been a bit drunk at the time.

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Through a combination of experiences I can relate a little to that experience. I can tell you this, I would not want to experience that even once on a dry road! I imagine it can be dangerous enough in broad daylight (no pun intended to the broads reading this). :-) Yikes!!! That has to be a "sobering" experience.