This song was recorded years ago (1973, I think) by a band called 10cc from Manchester, England.
Recently, a member of the former band (Graham Gouldman) claimed that 10cc should have been as famous as "The Beatles" (my words, not his).
This is the "Wall Street Shuffle", a song way ahead of it's time. The song, 1973, the video, 2007, by a like-minded person.
How pertinent it is now........
The words of the song tell much. "Holes in their pockets" has at least three meanings....
Sunday, 19 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Although the song sounds a bit flat to me today, it was probably pretty good for 1973. As far as I know, this did not chart in the USA, but I have a feeling I have heard it before. I will give it a few more "listens" in the future to be fair to the song and its subject, which fits then, now, and a few times in-between.
:-) I can't help saying, Graham Gouldman is famous for writing a number of Herman's Hermits best hit songs. Not certain, but "Listen People" comes to mind as one of those songs and a lovely, Christmassy song called "East West", a favorite of mine, even if not a big hit, was another one. In addition, he has written hits for others.
Sadly, "I'm Not In Love", not one of my favorites, yet very nice for what it is, was their only major hit in America I am aware of. I have read 10cc was a highly influential band, which one would have thought would have done better than they did. In the past 3 years I have learned just how big a Graham Gouldman fan I have been for over 40 years. Allow me to give a bow of respect at this moment to Graham Gouldman, whatever I think of 10cc. This man has written some beautiful songs and probably still has some beautiful songs left in him. I hope those songs find an outlet.
Thanks for bringing a side of him to my attention I have never seen before. I leave singing East West: "Eassstttt, Wessstttt, over the ocean, perpetual motion..." If I could only sing!
Post a Comment