Saturday, 4 October 2008

Snow Way!

It was Winter.

Temperatures were down, and I had some spare time. So I was asked to teach English at a well-known private school called GnB.

I started my first class at 2 pm. It started to snow just then. The Korean climate is quite dry, unlike England which is wet. Snow settles in Korea, and by three pm it had started to. When it came time for my third class at 4 pm, the snow outside was already five inches deep.

The kids were having a great time out there, but fifteen minutes later it was quite clear that the snow was making it difficult for the school buses to travel, and the announcement was made - school was canceled for the day. The next twenty minutes was spent informing parents that there was no need to send their kids to school forthwith. The Korean teachers performed admirably. I am not a native speaker, but I helped out and called maybe fifteen families.

Then the kids whom were on the stricken buses arrived!

After playing in the now seven-inch deep snow, they came into the school, hands and faces bright red from the cold, wet through, looking for warmth and comfort.

I took their happy, cold faces in my hands and cuddled their tiny red hands until they were warm again. The faces said it all. So many smiling students, all of which I knew, so happy, so shivering!

I left the school that day shivering too, but with a warm feeling inside me.

There is a reward there somewhere!

No comments: