Here is another couple....
1. In a country where homosexuality is at least frowned upon, I happened to wok past a group of schoolboys horsing around at the bus stop.
Three of them were in a doorway having a...shall we say...a "wrestling match"? (WWE is very popular here).
Without breaking stride, I passed them, glanced at them, and in full earshot of the older boys, made a single comment which caused a lot of red faces.
I said :
"Please. Not in public"
I walked past, and general laughter followed me.
2. My Filipina assistant, Raquel, at the lab has really good English skills. She sometimes teaches Korean kids at home on the phone. At other times, I even try to learn Tagalog or Visayan from her.
So I asked her several questions.
AKI: "What is the word for Basketball in your language?"
RAQUEL: "Basketball"
AKI: "..and what is the word for Volleyball in your language?"
RAQUEL: "Volleyball"
AKI: "And Tennis?"
RAQUEL: "Tennis"
AKI: "What about Baseball?"
RAQUEL: "Baseball"
AKI: "What is the word in your language for TableTennis?"
RAQUEL: "Ping Pong"
She never understood why I laughed so hard.
Saturday, 27 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is written as a tribute to the great humor of the late AKIKO ITO, who I learned late this afternoon has died. She, is and was, a very dear chat friend of mine. Those who read her humor, I hope will join me by posting here.
I confess, I often commented in serious terms on her humor Blog and laughed heartily at things she was serious about. That irritated her to the point, I decided not to comment on this Blog anymore. So, it is ironic, at a time I would love to laugh at her many fine, funny posts; it is hard to hold back the tears.
Yet, read and find the humor in these posts and you will find my dear friend, AKIKO ITO. That is what I will be doing in the future. I have always wanted to understand her as much as possible. I believe in a person's humor, you find the real person.
You don't even have to look very closely to see she loved kids and she loved the humor that comes from knowing and working with kids. We agreed on so much, while not laughing in the same way. For I feel when you engage in the humor of the kid's world, there is something there of what life is really meant to be at its best. This is Eden as it was meant to be.
I pray this Blog will be left up for at least a year, for I want as many people as possible to see the humor of my friend, AKIKO ITO. This must be left up to her boyfriend and her cousin, who will take charge of such things.
To all her friends, family, and relatives; take some time to read and comment. In that way each of us will keep her spirit alive. I will greatly miss AKIKO ITO's sense of humor. That might surprise her, but I think we would have had to meet in person, before she could see how humorous I found her. Notice the photo at the top of this Blog and notice the airplane position flying through the scene. I do think this was one of her favorite laughs, notice her happy face too, and for some time, AKIKO ITO has shared this laugh with the world.
Rest In Peace AKIKO, my friend. I will greatly miss you and your sense of humor. I wish we had more time to share, especially humor time. May God grant you immediate angel wings and allow you to buzz us from time to time, all in good fun, of course. For I would rather shed tears of laughter with you, than the tears of sorrow I feel now. AMEN and AMEN.
Post a Comment