Thursday, 30 April 2009

An Offer I COULD refuse!



This is a place I know very well.

The departure lounge (there is only one!) at Manila Domestic Airport.

The fast food place on the left is where I buy my San Miguel to sup whist I await the announcement. It is always ice cold.

The bookstore on the right is where I lost my passport.

Those bucket seats are the seats where I left my large wallet containing all my documents, passport and about $600 in cash.

However, it is during the time when this place was so full, I was unable to buy a ticket from the office on the outside.

I was on my way to see Raquel, on an island one hour away.

However, on this occasion I found that all flights were full.

My friend the cabbie, Nestor, who had taken me everywhere for many of my trips, suggested we go and wait in the restaurant almost next to the ticket office.

So we went in, and I offered to buy him Pancit Canton (it was less than 70c).

I ordered a milkshake.

Halfway through his meal, we were approached by another guy, Nestor's friend, and he was led outside.

Nestor returned with an offer - he could get a ticket for 3,500 pesos (about $70 at the time).

I feigned consideration, and said "Not this time, Nestor" ( I knew the face value of the ticket was only about $28 )

Three times he returned with offers of $60, $45 and $30. I refused all except the last one, which I paid for.

I did get on the flight, but had to laugh inwardly during it at the corruption I had just defeated.

No comments: