Saturday, 11 April 2009

Jay Walking



This is typical of pedestrian crossings in Asia. This one is in China.

There are many in Korea.

What is unusual is that all four directions are stopped at once for at least 90 seconds, so that pedestrians dominate the center of the crossing and the cars have to wait.

It is very safe, and very well controlled with red and green "WALK/DON'T WALK" signs (in Korean)

In England they have Pelican crossings which are controlled by little green men and noises they would probably make if they landed. The roads there tend to be far narrower so consequently the time available is shorter.

These have replaced the old Zebra Crossings which were just black and white marks across the road. Here is the most famous:



There are no flashing lights or noises, only the four aliens you see here.

They have all but gone now.

Except the one near my Liverpool home. It is about 4 meters across.

It is British law that, if a pedestrian stands waiting to cross, cars have to stop and allow the girl to cross.

They could be handed a ticket if spotted by the cops.

So I play a game. I approach the Zebra crossing and in an exaggerated way, deliberately stamp one foot on it, looking at the approaching cars from my right, a wicked grin on my face.

They stop and I wave to them as I cross!!

Can't do that here!

3 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Are there any overpasses in South Korea or England? By that, I mean concrete pedestrian bridges enclosed in chainlink fence-style, that are at some busy intersections here in America. You get to walk above the traffic, while the traffic gets to flow continously.

The reason I ask is there are some genuine differences in how countries handle pedestrian traffic. Except in California, America can be a pretty dangerous country to cross a city street. Even where I live, despite laws and pedestrian traffic signals it is pretty much a case of cross at your own risk. Then too, people are inclined to walk in the street here in neighborhoods, rather than use the sidewalk. Okay, enough said. Walking here is dangerous.

Flying part of flying doctor said...

lol, Wyman, this blog is not that serious!

I posted that to tell about how much fun I have.

In fact that is the point of this blog. (your clue is in the subtitle)

Didn't you think my game was funny?

edmundblackadder said...

Zebra crossings still are used all over the uk as you should know and ther are lights at each side a big amber globe flasing away. the beatles crossing has been copied since but i dont recall who by i know you will remind me. I to play the game of stepping out its fun to make them stop, oh yes this is fun right!!!

Glyn