Sunday, 12 July 2009

Doc Dorito

Akiko Ito was not only my fiancee, but best friend, guide, clown and wiseass. She always had to have the last word, often a witty and ascerbic remark, not made maliciously but in fun.

She was the epitome of everyone's sense of humour, and had the ability to make everyone in her classes and her labs laugh, often uncontrollably.

It would only take a short sentence and we would all be laughing at her astute observations.

The blog here contains many examples, and 99% of the titles here have at least two meanings.

We met on a plane to Singapore from the UK and I will never forget it. The time passed swimmingly and I was amazed at her range of knowledge of just about anything.

She was the most romantic girl I have ever seen. She whisked me halfway across the world on a whim.

She was also the most caring person I have ever known, generously making Yuko (her cousin) her charge, and when a family tragedy struck, taking Yuko on a whistle stop tour of London's sights and then on to Geneva to witness the historic event of the opening of the LHC. She even went to Boston for a day just to get Europe rail tickets for her.

She was fun, frivolous and often, because of the Stella, floloppy.

She was the best teacher of kids I have ever known.

The World has lost a deeply talented person.

I also pay tribute to het father, Yoshi, who, when Aki had acute anaemia, took her a private cruise around the entire Philippine archipelego, a place dear to her heart.

Akiko, my fiancee, lover and friend, I miss your laughter and serious looks, your persona, your intellect, your inability to skate or drive a car, and your complete lack of prowess at Chess.

We will miss everything about you. You were unique.

Goodbye, Dr Ito.

Ben Bagnall, Your Bagpuss.

No comments: