
This is the way in Korea. "Scooters" regularly plough their way through pedestrians on the sidewalks.
It is done so often there is little or no danger to either.
You get used to it.
Just before I left, I was walking along the Liverpool sidewalk near my place.
In England, the above practice is highly illegal (it may be in Korea also but no-one bothers!).
I was walking alongside our busy main road after dark at rush hour. Sometimes, irresponsible cyclists (that's pedal bicycles), mount the kerb and cycle on the sidewalk to avoid to traffic jams.
Such was the case a few nights ago.
I was walking and a cyclist passed me by, almost hitting me. He was to all appearances, a responsible cyclist, with backpack and crash helmet. He passed me and I said to no-one in particular "Excuse me!"
The cyclist, now, up to speed, was approaching a sidestreet, and there was a car trying to join the traffic.
...and the car backed up suddenly to avoid being hit by the traffic, necessitating our cyclist to come to a screeching stop. So sudden was this, he almost collided with the car, and nearly went head-over-heels in his attempt to avoid it.
I calmly passed him by and said (to no-one in particular) "That'll teach you".

No comments:
Post a Comment