Monday, 8 December 2008

Is this the SMALLEST Airport in the World?





This is an "airport". Viewed from, I think, about 1000 feet.

One runway, one small building (the one with the green roof), no landing lights and so close to the sea, you either take off or land in the water.

It's Tacloban Airport, Leyte, Philippines. I know half the staff there by name. The top porter is named Ricardo Moreno, a very nice guy with a big smile.

I have had several amusing adventures there.

Our plane (a small DC9 from Manila) was coming in to land with the sun on the left. I was at the right, in a window seat. I watched the ground getting nearer, and I could see the shadow of the plane on the trees. Suddenly, the shadow lurched nearer, meaning the plane was descending.

Fast.

I think we bumped on the single runway three times.

The old lady next to me saw my apprehension and remarked -

"Don't worry dear, the pilot may be old, but he has lots of experience"

2 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Wouldn't it be safer for passengers to don parachutes and land by parachute than try to land a DC9 on a bandaid like that?

Flying part of flying doctor said...

Maybe, but it wouldn't ba half as fun!