Thursday, 28 August 2008

Los Alamos





One of the funniest things to ever happen to me was in Los Alamos.

Our team decided to go to Santa Fe (yes, there IS such a place!), about 3 hours away. To the Oldest Church in the USA, which was toured. Wonderful.

Then we went browsing in the heart of the main part of the city.

The very heart of Santa Fe is a plaza, a square, complete with grassed central area. We walked along the Clint Estwood-like wooden store fronts, complete with duckboards and awnings.

Sprawled across the wooden boards were hoards of native Indians ( YES! real red indians!) displaying their wares on mats. Most were jewelry, and they were very friendly.

It was like something from another age, just like the old cowboy movies.

And at the other side of the plaza was a Woolworths and a McDonalds.

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Yes, I suppose that would be funny to someone like you. Maybe even to many Americans. As funny as that is you bring to mind many serious thoughts, even as I smile with understanding. I am glad you not only got to go there, but got to see the Mexican and Native American Indian culture that created much of the foundation of what you saw. Then, of course, came the American Old West, so you get the pleasant, stepping back into another time, look.

I have never been there, but I am certain the place would put a smile on my face too. Thank you for posting this. I am doing my level best not to be too serious, for I think you have made a great observation. Much history has taken place in this area that somehow seems from another time.