This post is best written with some Korean. Trust me.
GLOSSARY:
"illokae" means "this way" or "like this"
"hana dul se" means "one two three"
"kapshida" means "let's go"
"hapshida" means "let's do it"
"tashii" means "again"
"keyeso" means "carry on" or "and so on"
"hera" means "next"
"darra has seyo" means "repeat after me"
"AHSAA!" means "YAHOO!" or "Wahay!" or simply "Way cool!" depending on context.
"ani" means "no"
"bali bali" means " Quick! Hurry!"
I play this sometimes in class - it is FUN:
"LET'S divide the class down the middle. John, move to the left, illokae. Katy to your right, illokae. Sorry, John, you do not want to be with the girls? Ok, change with Emma. Emma is that ok? RIGHT! All those on John's side sing "HAPPY", Emma's team sing "JOY". "
And I point to whichever side has to sing (there is a lot of pointing).
Twice I do this, to get them to learn the song.
Then I cease pointing, play it again and cup my ear to listen.
"VERY GOOD!, NOW, we switch! John's team is now "JOY" and Emma's team is "HAPPY"! Here we go!"
I repeat it again.
"OKAY GUYS. Now that you know the song, let's divide the class in two from back to front. At the back, you sing "HAPPY", and the front sing "JOY". Ready? Kapshida!"
When they are good with it, again I do the switch.
Now for the master touch.
"Hey guys, one by one, OK? Dustin is first and then right around the class - "HAPPY" and "JOY". " I point to the students one by one. "Dustin, hana, Katy, dul, tarshii Brian ilokae hera, hera Sarah, keyeso, keyeso ilokae".
As they nod their heads in comprehension, we begin again. If someone misses, we stop the CD and start over until we get it right.
"HAPSHIDA! - Bali" Bali""
When we finish successfully, I say loudly "Hana Dul Se - AHSAA! Darra has seyo - Hana Dul Se - " and I look at them blankly as they shout "AHSAA!".
"ANI ANI ANI!, Tarshiii!" and I make them repeat it but backwards (in reverse order) until we get it right again.
Just before the bell goes before the end of class, I then ask them almost innocently but with a wicked look in my eye....
"TWO candies go to who can tell me how many "HAPPY"s and "JOY"s in the song!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment