Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Tacloban City

This is a small town on the north of the island of Leyte, Visayas, Philippines.

It is called a city.

I have been there many times.

I know the Western Electric guy quite well as a person. He is a big, fat man who owns the business.

I missed my flight back to Manila one day, in my student days, and I had no money.

Ok, so I had no money, nowhere to stay, and only my friend Raquel, whom I had parked in the Manhattan Hotel on Rizal Street.

The next flight was in three days.

I had no money. The only thing I had of value was my trusted Laptop computer. It was old, but certainly had a dollar value, so I went back to Western Electric, after paying for the taxi and the fee for a missed flight.

I offered it to him for $200.

After bartering, he accepted and gave me a Bankers' check. I took this to the bank around the corner.

They knew him. They knew me. The teller said if they had known, they would have bought the laptop themselves! How was I to know?

In the end . I had $200 (USD), enough to get me home (or where home was at that stage!)

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Is that where Western Electric has disappeared to? I have not heard that name in years. Once upon a time, I think they made AT&T's telephones here in the USA. ha ha ha I will have to do some research on them.

It is nice to know when stranded in a foreign land, which is anyplace that is not home when you are down and out, that there are decent people willing to help. I find both the Western Electric guy and the bank to be decent people, as well as good business people. It reminds me of the many times in life when people have helped me for free or freely given stuff to me without me asking. I have always tried to pass on this gift, realizing many people have made a positive difference in my life.

Thanks for this short, but heartwarming, true story. Obviously, I enjoyed this story. :-)