Monday, 2 March 2009

Hunting High and Low




The Philippines is wonderful for Star Gazing.

At least, it is where I go. Raquel, my assistant, lives in a remote part where there is no city-shine. That is, there is no light pollution, so the skies are clear.

I astonished the whole village one time when I walked onto the concreted National Highway after dark, and lay down in the middle of it.

The constellation above, Orion, was literally that, ABOVE. In England and Korea, it is always about 30-45 degrees altitude. In the Philippines, because they are further south, it is almost invariably overhead (90 degrees).

So, to the amusement of all, I lay down in the middle of the highway hunting for Orion, and in particular, the Nebula, which is very rarely visible in any city, as it is so faint.

Ignoring the laughter and answering the questions from the kids, I stared directly up in wonder. Some of the smarter kids did the same!

"See those three stars in a line?", I told them, "That's his belt".

I then pointed out what was just below his belt. The girls giggled. It was pink, but the famous Orion Nebula was clearly visible.

No need for a telescope.

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Hmmm! Isn't it a little naughty to stare at Orion with his pants down? Surely he was getting ready to sleep, if you could see below his belt. I should add, never look at a man with his mael down.

But seriously, I agree with you. When you can see the heavens as the heavens were really meant to be seen, it is awe-inspiring to look at. It is ashame, in what is suppose to be civilized society, we can't turn all the lights out a few times a year to see the stars, planets, and whole heavens beauty and awe. Even the moon would be more spectacular I am sure when it is visible. Sigh!!! I want to go on and on, but you know what I mean. Hope the attempt at humor offends no one. Life is filled with beauty, if only we would look.