I was crossing the highway last night, using the traffic lights. They turn red, and it says “WALK”. I was listening to my music on my mp3 with my Sony headphones, so could not hear anything.
The traffic in the nearest lane had stopped for the red, and I started my way across the four lanes.
In the second lane, I very nearly bought the farm, as a driver in a fast car (A Hyundai!!!!) decided to run the red light, which had only just changed. I have a hearty distrust of cars, and even though I am safe, I make it a habit to look out for idiots like this.
He drove straight through, and had I been two meters further across, he would have run right over me at a good 80 kph.
I stopped in mid-stride, in the middle of the crossing, put my hands on my hips, threw a glance at the drivers who had stopped, tilted my head, gave them a surprised expression, and raised my best cynical eyebrow. Both Benny Hill and Frankie Howard would have been proud.
I could almost hear the drivers’ laughter over their CD sound systems. Either way, it looked like it was not my time to start playing my harp, golden or otherwise.
Kind of reminds me of when my radiation badge turned completely black, but that is another story.
Saturday, 17 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment